Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Another Load of Carp
So my pigskin tattoo adventures continue...It comes in a large roll and I slice it into 5x5 or a bit larger. Vacuum sealing them and freezing them seems to be a good method of preserving them for use. This one I had defrosted in the fridge for 2 days, and I think it affected the quality of the piece unfortunately. It seems that the surface gets mushy and its difficult for the ink to hold so I did my best. The first piece I did was pretty fresh, so I will try to defrost them as they are needed not so much in advance. I was bummed and I know they will come out better. I hate to be the carpenter blaming his tools as they say, but it was really tough to work on. I think pretty soon I will be ready to do some on myself and some friends who are eager. This stuff is just too damn mushy. I know if I used the rubber skin stuff this would have had alot more tonal values in the image. I will post the picture and of the pencil sketch I did as reference. I am not totally happy with it but it is part of the learning curve I guess. I also did a Sailor Jerry inspired piece with a swallow. It came out ok..same deal with the mushy skin. I will definitely redo it. I didnt have red tattoo ink for that one so I used Higgins ink. Blah.